Job description – fibre planner / splicer
About Cambridge Fibre
Cambridge Fibre Networks Ltd (CFN) is a new entrant to the telecoms market and provides full fibre services using owned asset-based infrastructure for a. business and residential broadband and b. commercial telecom services including dark fibre and ethernet. The network infrastructure is built using network partners and acquisition, own construction and using Openreach’s Duct and Pole Access product. The company is a spin-off from Netservers (since 1992) and is located in Cambridge.
As we are building the company and constructing the network we are looking for the first fibre planner/splicer to be the first member of the Fibre Delivery Team and shares our excitement. As an experienced engineer you will be responsible for the complete delivery cycle from order validation, network and fibre planning, delivery and troubleshooting. The job will involve building the core network and also the access network delivering services to business and residential customers, you are the ambassador of the company. Installation of our ducts and pulling high density cable will be done by our construction partner ready for service preparation and we expect you to supervise the quality of the works.
The job is well suited for a junior fibre engineer who really understand the fibre basics and is ready for the next career step and take a more challenging role. The more experienced fibre engineer will be interested in the more diverse work in a rapid growing company. Also as an experienced fibre engineer, we are hoping you are interested to mentor and coach a junior engineer in the Fibre Delivery Team.
As a fibre splicer, you are:
- Experienced with fibre optic fusion machines i.e. Fujikura, Sumitomo for splicing
- Able to prepare, splice and troubleshoot fibre optical cable
- Able to install, repair and maintain fibre optic splice closures and distribution panels/hubs
- Able to work in chambers and manholes, aerial plant, and customer premises
- Able to work outside of normal working hours and On-Call for service outages (will be shared with the wider team)
- Generate and understand OTDR (Optical Time Domain Reflectometer) and Power Meter test results
As a fibre planner, you are:
- Liaising with the sales and engineering colleagues during the sales phase to provide desktop and later detailed costing for projects
- Validate orders received, confirm deliverables and indicative timescales to sales team
- Reserve fibres in GIS tool and verify diversity requirements
- Prepare site design and surveys, highlight wayleave requirements and collect data for planning pack
- Review planning pack, check fibre layout compliance and confirm planned cost with the manager
- Instruct our construction partner to install additional ducts where needed
- Once the work is completed update the GIS tool and confirm the order is ready for billing
- Discuss weekly with manager on how we do things better, be able to help develop procedures that improve quality and efficiency in delivery process
- You will be involved in planning with the council for diversionary works and planned outages
Your skills and qualifications
Proven experience of Fibre Planning or Fibre Splicing or similar role within a telecoms build environment
Experience with Openreach, especially with Duct and Pole Access product would be a benefit
Familiarity with GIS tools, databases to create work packages and updated as-built
HNC or equivalent in an Engineering or Planning discipline
Full valid driving license
Proven understanding of civils construction practice and regulations (NRSWA)
Proven understanding of CDM and relevant Health and Safety regulations
Competent user of Microsoft Office Packages (outlook, excel & word)
If you are an for enthusiastic go-doer with an interest for hands-on hi-tech experience we would like to offer the perfect job. Depending on where you are in your career you might not have all the skills (yet), what we promise is training to get you there.
We offer a market competitive package based on your experience and skills. We fundamentally believe that there is an important role for local telecom companies, as such we have a preference for hiring people living and working in the region. Where possible we prefer to promote diversity in the workplace.
Drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with a recent CV and a short description why the job should be yours!