Job description – installation engineer
About Cambridge Fibre
Cambridge Fibre Networks Ltd (CFN) is a two-year-old challenger in the telecoms market and provides full-fibre services using owned ducts and fibre for a. business/residential broadband and b. wholesale/enterprise bandwidth services including internet access, ethernet and dark fibre. The network infrastructure is primarily built using Openreach’s Duct and Pole Access product complemented with new construction where necessary.
Due to customer growth we require a full-time gigabit broadband installer for residential and business customers. You will attend pre-agreed customer appointments to install new fibre telecoms equipment such as optical network terminals, switches, routers and fibre distribution units into customers’ homes and businesses. The job involves installing internal wiring, communication with customers, installing microducts in underground chambers and climbing up telephone poles to install drop wires.
You will receive paid first class accredited industry training at a national recognised training centre. The exact program will depend on experience and existing accreditation, it will include full health and safety training, climbing variety of poles and ladders, underground safety and street works training.
The job is well suited for a junior installation engineer who loves the fibre basics, is ready for the next career step to take on a more challenging role. The more experienced installation engineer will be interested in the more diverse work in a rapid growing company.
As a installation engineer, you have:
- Previous Telecoms experience.
- Experience within a hands-on trade and tools.
- Excellent customer service skills, as you will be visiting households and businesses.
- Be motivated and be able to work independently as well be a team player.
- Able to work in manholes and aerial plant; you are comfortable and willing to work at heights or in confined spaces when required.
- Able to prepare, splice and troubleshoot fibre optical cable.
- Able to install, repair and maintain fibre optic splice closures and distribution panels.
- Able to work outside of normal working hours and On-Call for service outages (will be shared with the wider team)
- Use and understand OTDR (Optical Time Domain Reflectometer) and Power Meter test results
Your skills and qualifications
Prior experience with Openreach, especially with Duct and Pole Access product would be a benefit
Familiarity with GIS tools to updated as-built and databases for work packages
Full valid driving license (clean) with 12 months driving experience
Competent user of Microsoft Office Packages (outlook, excel & word)
It would be a plus to have accreditations such as: NRSWA – Signing, Lighting and Guarding, Safety Underground and Safety Overhead
If you are an for enthusiastic go-doer with an interest for hands-on hi-tech experience we would like to offer the perfect job. Depending on where you are in your career you might not have all the skills (yet), we promise to provide the necessary training to get you there.
We offer a market competitive package based on your experience and skills. We believe that there is an unique role for local telecom companies, as such we prefer to hire people living in and around Cambridge. Where possible we prefer to promote diversity in the workplace.
Drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with a recent CV and a short description why the job should be yours!